CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Washington Editor, CNN Politics (Project Role)Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States Job ID 174131BR Apply Now
This is our story. We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play?
The Washington editor will assist the senior editors of the White House, Congress and Justice beats in overseeing CNN's digital coverage. The Washington editor's primary responsibility will be editing daily breaking news coverage as well as assisting with enterprise stories. We are looking for someone with stellar news judgment, superb editing skills and the ability to perform in a competitive environment.
This is a project role through 1/31/2021.
What will you be doing?
- Assist the senior editors for the White House, Congress and Justice beats in leading digital coverage
- Edit content focused on a user-driven strategy that understands the nuances of packaging content for the web, mobile web, social (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and leading social messaging apps), and apps
- Help ensure quality control by line editing and back-reading content
- Edit analysis, enterprise and accountability pieces as well as breaking stories
- Prioritize the most social stories and ask two critical questions: 1) is this content native to mobile, and 2) is it shareable?
- Coordinate with newsgathering teams across the beats and help prioritize and execute digital needs
- Knowledge and passion for political news and producing political content with the urgency politics demands
- Monitor national and local news sources to identify and evaluate stories of potential interest that align with the editorial direction
- This person should be passionate, driven, innovative, and determined to define some of the country's most important political stories for the mobile social generation of news consumers
- Edit and help produce sharp headlines and stories
- Superb writing and visual communication strength are a must
- 6+ of experience an editorial role at a traditional or digital native news organization
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Sound editorial and social judgment; excellent writing and visual communication skills
- Strong content management system experience on desktop web, mobile web, and mobile
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment making independent decisions
- Proven experience for developing audiences across web, mobile web, social accounts, through SEO
- Strong understanding of mobile, apps, and social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Experience leading a team
- Experience in a video-led operation a plus
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS