WarnerMedia's robust technology division provides the infrastructure to support the digital extension of our brands and creates unique ad-serving solutions through the design, development and delivery of key media technologies. Check out Turner’s Information Technology jobs.
Sr Tech DirectorLocation Washington, District of Columbia, United States Job ID 176151BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented <br>storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, <br>DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit Overview
We are CNN. THE WORLD’S MOST ESSENTIAL AND ENGAGING SOURCE OF DIGITAL NEWS. We are in the midst of rapid transformation and need you to help us find the next generation of innovators, makers, and dreamers who will lead and drive our growth. We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
The Senior Technical Director is an exciting position for a leading global news provider. The position ensures technical execution, planning, advice, support, and mentoring for CNN as well as direct management of 3-5 development professionals that may include Directors, Senior Managers, Architects and Developers within that organization. The Senior Technical Director partners with Product and Project Management to deliver on product initiatives and operational execution. The Senior Technical Director offers expert recommendations for tools, strategies, best practices and software lifecycle processes and solutions to help create, enable and support implementation of the partner's Long-Range Technology Plan. The Senior Technical Director drives the continuous pursuit of process improvement in software development, and performs hands-on systems consulting and guidance as well as troubleshooting as needed for CNN Digital edition properties. The Senior Technical Director will also drive collaboration with other teams across Turner to increase quality and business value and facilitate innovation.
- Provide leadership in support of the CNN Digital technology plan and principles, as well as organizational direction and culture
- Leads execution and delivery of new initiatives as well as providing operational support for solutions in production. This entails working across distributed and matrixed teams.
- Mentor, guide, coach, coordinate training opportunities and support individual growth and technical skills across the development teams to facilitate quality and business value
- Provide thought leadership and facilitate the sharing of knowledge between employees and across teams to strengthen capabilities and the organization's ability to respond to client needs
- Coordinate information-sharing and/or teaching sessions to facilitate increased awareness of industry trends and upcoming initiatives
- Leverage established foundation and guidance for implementation of lean life cycle methodologies and best practices that continually improve teams' ability to provide business value and bring predictability to IT.
- Demonstrate an understanding of future trends in technology and policies and how they impact the current and future state of the solution
- Ensure that technical solutions are in line with established CNN Digital standards in respect to architecture, security, corporate governance, coding standards, monitoring, logging, unit test, service enablement, source code management, naming conventions and security
- Participate in the creation of the CNN Digital Long-Range Technology Plan to provide input on the implementation impact of such plans.
- Establish and maintain operations and strategic plans for systems implementation, consistent with defined objectives and strategic direction for CNN Digital. Ensure on-going supportability and scalability of systems. - Continually identify and implement cost and productivity.
- Define and communicate a strategic vision for the applications development teams that support the long-range goals of CNN Digital
- At a departmental and enterprise level, proactively plan for project or organizational contingencies and design, recommend, implement, and manage changes in partnership with the department's functional Directors and VP.
- Research, discover and recommend long-term technology solutions and process improvements in accordance with an understanding of the methodology, architecture, business needs, and strategic success of the organization.
- Engage the business and other functional and technical subject matter experts across Turner enterprise to solicit input, feedback, perspective, and (as appropriate) assistance.
- Research, monitor, evaluate, and publish/teach groups regarding emerging technologies and trends internal and external to the organization on a regular basis. Provide management oversight to Lead Developers and other senior engineering professionals
- Balance the needs of users, management, operations, support, finance, and technology with the strategic needs of the business when providing technology solutions
- Provide leadership in support of organizational direction and culture. Guide direct reports in support of their personal and organizational goals and responsibilities. Manage employee performance or discipline issues and work with director to recommend compensation, recognition, transfer, promotion, or other personnel decisions.
- Actively mentor development professionals to increase technical and soft skill levels in support of partner's and organization's mission, goals, and objectives.
- Conduct information-sharing sessions to facilitate increased awareness of industry trends and upcoming technical initiatives.
- Direct the work of others as requested, providing guidance and task direction to other developers.
- Other tasks and duties as needed to support the team and/or business.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS