Turner's robust technology division provides the infrastructure to support the digital extension of our brands and creates unique ad-serving solutions through the design, development and delivery of key media technologies. Check out Turner’s Information Technology jobs.
BIT Systems AdministratorLocation Washington, United States Job ID 163645BR Apply Now
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of Time Warner along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TCM, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! From cutting-edge breaking news stories, up-to-the-minute sports coverage, and the characters we grew up loving on to the shows we love today, Turner continues to be the gold standard in first class television programming and a demonstrated leader in digital content. We tell the stories the world wants to hear. Won’t you be a part of our story? http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
What part will you play?
The BIT Systems Administrator provides maintenance, installation and support for Unix, Linux, Windows and Mac OS X based servers & networks used by the local offices/bureaus. This includes audio/video servers as well as other production systems (e.g., Exchange, file servers, application servers, etc.), as well as the complete data, voice, and LAN infrastructure. Using your demonstrated skills and experience in a networked computing environment and familiarity with broadcast production systems, this position may also include:
- Designing, coding, testing, implementation, and support of custom software applications for the local bureau/office
- Troubleshoot production issues that impact our on-air environment
- Coordinate to support activities among all impacted teams
- Communicate production status to customers
What will you be doing?
- 25% Procure, install, and configure file servers, audio/video servers, messaging servers, and other development/production equipment necessary for the effective and efficient use of digital information. Work with management to create, track, and manage project plans and resources as necessary
- Perform server administration tasks such as adding/deleting users, logins, email accounts, passwords, etc.
- 20% Perform system performance monitoring and tuning, software configuration, performance and capacity planning, installation of system patches, tape backup administration, system sizing and client configuration, data archiving, and other maintenance tasks to ensure near-100% availability of production systems
- 25% Perform system-wide software upgrades/deployments for the LAN and/or server infrastructure. Suggest configuration changes (both software and hardware) to existing networks to improve their availability, stability or uptime to the user community
- 10% Perform nightly back-ups and maintenance of servers and databases to ensure availability and integrity of data and operational systems
- 10% Liaison with other technology groups and business constituents to ensure business continuity and full communication for the purpose of performing system-wide software upgrades/deployments for the LAN and/or server infrastructure. Recommend and justify to management configuration changes (both software and hardware) to existing networks to improve their availability, stability or uptime to the user community
- 10% Collaborate with subject-matter experts (e.g. Atlanta) for critical and/or complex problems or projects to ensure efficient and effective business support for the client
- Other duties as assigned
What do we require from you?
- 4+ Years of Unix/Linux, Windows Systems Administration
- Experience with Redhat / CentOS / Debian Solid Scripting skills in Bash, Perl or Unix shell variants Demonstrated experience of standard networking protocols, computing operating systems, & LAN/WAN topology
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP Networking Concepts (DNS, DHCP, etc.)
- Demonstrated fluency with NFS, SMB, and FTP file services
- Demonstrated knowledge of the elements of the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PERL/PHP/Python)
- Provide 24 x 7 On-Call Support and Remote Troubleshooting
- Demonstrated experience in the service and operation of computing hardware and related peripherals
- Demonstrated experience of TCP/IP Networking Concepts (DNS, DHCP, etc.); Sun Solaris (7, 8 and 10), Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat, SuSE, CentoS) and Mac OS X (client and server)
- Demonstrated experience with NFS, SMB, and FTP file services, as well as various Directory Services (LDAP, OpenDirectory/NetInfo, Active Directory)
- In depth knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and standard business applications (Xp, Vista, 7)
- Demonstrated familiarity with broadcast systems and/or hardware (e.g., VizRT, iNews, Omneon Demonstrated experience working on technology and/or process design/re-engineering projects Spectrum)
- Demonstrated familiarity with Microsoft Windows Server + and Advanced Server, OSX, Microsoft O365 email system software, and UNIX
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Ability to self-motivate and drive own work, while also being part of a team environment
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2017 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS