CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Senior Assignment Editor - Weekends - Newsgathering, CNNLocation New York, New York, United States Job ID 171813BR Apply Now
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play and what will you be doing?
CNN New York is looking for an experienced journalist with strong news gathering abilities and leadership skills. The News Editor should be a collaborative, team player who can who can clearly and succinctly distill news and disseminate information across various news platforms. Hours for this position will include working Saturday and Sunday's.
- You'll be responsible for pushing the editorial envelope on stories that help CNN distinguish itself from our competition
- - As a leader on our assignment desk, the editor should be able to distinguish stories that meet CNN's journalistic standards and newsgather via traditional methods as well as social media, guiding the story through from conception to completion
- As a seasoned writer, this news editor staffer can create content for both internal consumption and external publishing on all CNN platforms
- This includes field assignments and being our eyes on ears on the ground covering breaking news or planned events such as court cases, protests or news conferences
- The News Editor needs to support reporter and producer teams reporting from a bureau or the field and clearly communicate editorial and logistics information between team, digital newsgathering and shows
- Develops and maintains own sources
- Leads team to meet editorial goals and deadlines, continually focused on improvement of newsgathering and cross-departmental processes
What do we need from you?
- BA/BS in Journalism, Television-Film Production, Communications, or related discipline
- 8 years' experience in news environment at a major network/local station
- Previous news room experience
- Newsgathering in social media outlets
- 4+ year experience TV/digital writing experience preferred
- Previous Assignment Editor experience preferred
- Strong general news judgment and editorial skills
- Understanding of CNN newsgathering
- Strong logistical ability
- Able to make fast decisions
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Able to work under pressure
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to wellbeing tools, resources, and freebies
- 2017 Best Company for WorkingMothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS