CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Database Engineer IILocation New York, New York, United States Job ID 176074BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.<br><br>Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Business Unit Overview
Build the Future of Entertainment
HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) offering debuting in May 2020. With over 10,000 hours of curated premium content anticipated at launch, HBO Max will offer powerhouse programming for everyone in the home, bringing together HBO, a robust slate of new original series, key third-party licensed programs and movies, and fan favorites from WarnerMedia’s rich library, including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more.
Our DTC Technology team is laying the foundation for HBO Max, and we need highly motivated, uniquely skilled, and technically agile experts across a variety of disciplines to accomplish things that have never been done before.
We are the team that architects and manages the backend datastores for the streaming platforms like HBO Go, HBO Now and the future HBO Max that enables real-time targeted customer experiences and dynamic business decisions. Our current data processing infrastructure is positioned for our next generation of technology.
We work with Software Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers to build reliability, performance and security into our streaming products. We champion infrastructure as code and strongly believe that automation is the key to delivering reliable systems.
- Play a key role in a team that designs, defines and executes end-to-end support and performance tuning of SQL and NoSQL databases for our D2C platform
- Participate in product direction and road-map planning, project execution scheduling, and hiring engineers to develop cutting-edge database services
- Build a world-class software development team through a combination of training, career development, recruiting, and process improvement
- Work with engineers on your team to define the next generation data architecture for our D2C streaming platform, HBO Max; including identifying gaps in the existing system and designing alternatives that are scalable, robust and easy to maintain
- Design, build and maintain the end-to-end of datastores in an Infrastructure-As-Code environment
- Participate in cross-functional data integration efforts as Data SME
- Collaborate with engineering teams and key stakeholders across the organization to continuously acquire new data, detect and fix data quality issues
- Propose and architect data solutions based on requirements
- Work as part of a team on scheduled and ad-hoc projects.
- Have a demonstrated ability to attract talent, build teams, be part of the team and have fun
- Have 3+ years of top-tier database development experience
- Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, programming, algorithms, and data structures
- Strong programming experience with SQL, NoSQL. Databases tuning and optimization
- Strong knowledge of database architecture and administration
- Have 3+ years of strong experience with Python and/or Shell scripting
- Have 3+ years of strong experience with PostgreSQL and/or Cassandra
The Nice to Haves
- Hands-on experience in automation processes for database creation, maintenance and rebuild
- Experience working in Cloud data center environments
- Ability to identify key metrics and build resilient processes to detect and minimize issues
- Strong attention to detail and ability to identify downstream effects of design on data mining, business intelligence and analysis
- Great communication and collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
- Media, entertainment, and/or games industry experience is a plus
- Familiarity with Log aggregation systems (ex Splunk, ELK) and processing stream based data (ex Kafka, Lambda etc)
- Experience with DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Experience working on or with a distributed team separated by time zones
- Broad exposure to AWS DB services
- Prior experience setting up JMX metrics, Prometheus or Graphite metrics as well as familiarity with Grafana for graphing and alerting
- HBO exclusive events
- Paid time off to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBOand Cinemax. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GO and MAX GO , as well as HBO On Demand. and Cinemax On Demand. in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS