CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Commerce Editor (Temporary)Location New York, New York, United States Job ID 169772BR Apply Now
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Great Big Story's Temporary Commerce Editor oversees the editorial and operational execution of Great Big Story's new e-commerce product, Guides. In this role, the Commerce Editor will be responsible for leading the editorial strategy and tactical approach to the creation and distribution of 8+ product and travel guides per month, including branded or sponsored guides.
Reporting directly to the Director of Programming, this person will work tightly with audience insights and the business team at CNN to build well-researched lists of products that Great Big Story can recommend to our audience, in line with our brand of curious globe-trotters.
This is a hands-on role for someone with strong writing & editing skills who can build and manage a network of freelance writers, while overseeing multiple projects from start to finish (pitch to publish) under a deadline with business goals in mind.
- Develop and oversee editorial execution of 8+ product/travel guides per month, with an eye on market opportunities based on SEO insights & consumer product research
- Can write and edit these guides, as well as assign them out to a freelance team of writers and producers, and assemble all assets to build the final, published product
- Identify and execute on strategic growth opportunities as it relates to both traffic and revenue. Set distribution and social strategy for each guide, with the ability to use insights to inform strategy
- Write/edit social copy and coordinate across the company for distribution support from our WarnerMedia sibling networks (CNN, CNN Travel, etc.)
- Build close relationships with editorial leaders across the company to align and optimize content products for distribution
- Build and manage a network of freelance writers and photographers to capture and create content for the guides, including branded or sponsored editorial guides as necessary
- Ensure every guide meets and exceeds established Great Big Story tone/ brand voice, adheres to AP style, and looks and sounds consistent across social distribution
- Research and test a variety of approaches to article formats (reviews, buying guides, and deals posts) to determine which template and article structure leads to the highest conversions
- Create an optimized workflow to take guides from pitch to publish as quickly and economically efficiently as possible
- Report performance learnings' back to senior leadership on a monthly basis, with analysis to help inform strategy and product development for editorial and sales teams
- 3-5 years of experience in journalism, marketing, commerce or related field
- At least 1 year of experience in commerce/e-commerce
- At least 1 year of experience managing others directly, or indirectly as team lead overseeing others' work
- Must be very detail oriented, organized, and have strong communication skills to work across multiple teams and platforms
- Experience with SEO/audience insights
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills for optimized digital distribution
- Flawless verbal and written communication skills
- Strong understanding of commerce performance data and analytics
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Excel and Photoshop skills preferred
- College degree and/or relevant work experience
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS