CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Senior Planning EditorLocation United Kingdom - London Job ID 163653BR Apply Now
CNN’s portfolio of news and information services is available in five different languages across all major TV, internet and mobile platforms reaching more than 392 million households around the globe. CNN International is the number one international TV news channel according to all major media surveys across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, the Asia Pacific region and Latin America. The CNN digital network is consistently one of the top news and current affairs destination on the web.
A proactive, editorial and meticulously organised individual, the Futures Planning Editor will work directly with the Senior Director of Futures, London DOCs, digital and programming to execute cross platform news coverage. The FPE will have two key roles - to support the Director of Futures in futures planning, but also in executing deployments during breaking news in conjunction with the news desk, London DOCs and the Senior Director of Futures. They will also be responsible for ensuring communications between Atlanta, Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi, Digital, CNNE and programming remain as seamless as possible.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Taking ownership of the editorial direction of the planning process, identifying opportunities to break news, enterprise original and distinctive content, thus generating clear cross-platform coverage priorities. This will include content for TV, as well as distinct digital content.
- Ensuring that CNN is always ahead of the editorial curve and maintains its position as a market leader in global cross platform news coverage.
- Working with the platforms to best amplify CNN exclusives, CNN moments and key stories of our time.
- Planning coverage of key themes, scheduled news events and breaking news. Working in step with the expectations of the entire News Group: digital, social and broadcast and ensuring clear prioritization to meet all the varying platform needs.
- Ensuring that the things that make us able to react quickly (visas, logistics, accreditations) are all up to date. Ensure seamless and compelling coverage across all CNN platforms with no logistical impediments to fast reactions of teams to breaking news and events.
- Constantly look for ways to make CNN coverage stand out from our competitors.
- Co-ordinating closely and building solid relationships across the News Group – digital/social supervising editors, broadcast EPs, the regional, international and US bureaus – ensuring their coverage needs are met and exceeded.
- Shoring up deployments, editorial and logistics in the aftermath of breaking news in step with the Senior Director of Futures, the Directors of Coverage and Digital.
- Identifying key storylines and CNN moments and best showcase them across the platforms; ensuring a robust operation is in place in the immediate aftermath of a breaking news event that can execute effectively on cross platform needs.
- Ensuring coverage plans are well defined and full details are outlined in documented fashion.
- Overseeing the safety of the team on deployment in step with the Directors of Coverage, Snr Director of Futures and Snr Field Logistics Coordinators – ensuring that team safety is always the first consideration and at the heart of deployment decisions.
- Editorial and field experience - In depth knowledge and proven track record in cross-platform newsgathering and editorial with significant experience.
- Editorially decisive – able to identify and prioritise stories and plan coverage accordingly.
- Proven track record in creative and distinctive storytelling; post production capability, and in editorial knowledge globally.
- Proactive – able to respond to a news event without necessary direction, able to take initiative.
- Able to creatively solve issues and problems as they arise.
- Strategic Thinker – able to identify key themes and present those in a compelling manner to the networks. Able to work with the various platforms to schedule, fashion and present stories for maximum impact.
- Digital platform knowledge – Broad awareness of CNN’s digital output and priorities – from desktop to mobile to social media; what material works on each and how they perform in the competitive landscape.
- Able to build relationships and work with multiple stake holders, navigating the complex different arms of CNN and build a network of relationships to ensure smooth cross platform planning and communications and thereby finding opportunities to showcase international gathering.
- Confident working under pressure – able to thrive in a pressured breaking news environment. Able to respond to changes in the editorial agenda and respond to situations on the ground for our field teams.
- Exceptionally organised with meticulous attention to detail. Proven experience in editorial/legal standards and practices. Proven budget management skills.
Less Fear, More Fun, All In.
Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page to see what life is like at Turner!
The deadline for applications is 1st June 2018.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS