Turner's robust technology division provides the infrastructure to support the digital extension of our brands and creates unique ad-serving solutions through the design, development and delivery of key media technologies. Check out Turner’s Information Technology jobs.
Platform Operations ManagerLocation United Kingdom - London Job ID 161460BR Apply Now
Would you like to work for a leading global media organisation? Do you have experience in platform operations? If so, we’d love to hear from you. We are currently recruiting a Platform Operations Manager to join the Technology and Operations team in London.
In Europe, Middle East and Africa, Turner currently broadcasts 68 channels in 23 languages to 124 countries. It is headquartered in London and operates local offices across the region. The brand portfolio includes EMEA’s number one international news brand CNN International as well as Turner’s leading kids brands, Cartoon Network – home of global hit animation series such as The Amazing World of Gumball and Boomerang, featuring timeless classics such as Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes.
The Platform Operations Manager is part of the Turner Entertainment Technology and Operations team. This team provides operational and technical expertise and support to Turner’s Kids and General Entertainment teams throughout EMEA. The role reports to the Director of Platform Operations, within the Platform Operations team.
Platform Operations is responsible for the fulfilment of content delivery to Turner’s affiliate platforms, syndication partners and digital consumers across the EMEA region. Ensuring fulfilment of contractual delivery obligations,the Platform Operations Manager will manage the day to day running of the Content Delivery, Syndication and Metadata teams, who are responsible for the transcoding, formatting, QC, packaging, delivery & tracking of content in line with delivery obligations, ensuring they are both met and exceeded. The role also provides support to the Director of Platform Operations in managing service providers at an operational level and managing key stake holders within the business. The role has nine direct reports.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Run the day to day of the Content Delivery, Syndication and Metadata teams. Responsibility for deliveries across linear, digital & syndication platforms in line with first use dates/license start dates. Overseeing transcoding, formatting, QC, delivery and tracking of content as well as metadata & ancillary assets to fulfil all Turner’s content output obligations. This team also owns the resolution of missing or rejected content.
- Ensure content workflows are fit for purpose. Be across new technologies, to assist with driving new ways of working, including opportunities for automation. Championing and onboarding new workflows, regularly reviewing to ensure they are fit for purpose as well as documenting and communicating operational models across the business.
- Operational lead for launching new services including OTT, SVOD, linear services and pop ups. Liaising with key stake holders across the business for handover from commercial to operational delivery. Coordinating with service providers and end platforms for delivery of A/V, subtitles, dubbing and metadata to agreed timelines.
- Work with our service providers to ensure operational excellence, ensuring SLA’s are tracked and met, new business requests are understood and implemented in line with Turner requirements. Negotiate and agree service levels and rate cards.
- Manage day to day operations to ensure teams are appropriately resourced for steady state and project work. Work closely with Media Technology, Operations, Sales, Programming and Digital teams to help ensure our investment in and delivery of content is both cost effective and of excellent quality.Partner with the business to understand ongoing requirements. Assist teams to trouble shoot and present solutions to operational issues.
- Support the Director of Platform Operations in the day to day running of the department as well as providing support to other senior management within T&O and the wider business. Responsible for setting the annual Operations budget together with the Director. Create and update KPI data to assist with running the department. When required use data to create presentations / business case, tell department story to leadership, channel heads etc.
- Line management including conducting performance reviews, goal setting and providing guidance on personal development. Responsible for creating and maintaining a high performing & motivated team with clear KPIs. Ensure all team skills are kept up to required levels. Oversee and review training plans for department. Coach & mentor staff.
Knowledge and experience required
- Operations experience within a busy broadcast environment essential. Proven experience of SVOD platforms such as Amazon, Netflix. Operational Lead/Project Lead experience.
- Knowledge of file based workflows, workflow implementation, Cloud Based Technology
- Prior experience in file formats, Frame rate conversion, understanding of budgets, resource planning, Stake holder management
- Self-sufficient and organised, flexible, ability to prioritise appropriately, consumer led/focused
- Management and Leadership: Strong leadership, ability to communicate at all levels and drive solutions,
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Degree or equivalent
Working from our London office in the heart of Soho, you will have the opportunity to work for a truly global media company. With global scope and local focus, we’ll find and share stories that matter to our diverse audiences and clients.
Less Fear, More Fun, All In.