CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Writer - CNN - On-Air PresentationsLocation Atlanta, United States Job ID 161009BR Apply Now
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play?
This position is key to generating and delivering news content for CNN's mobile and on-air presentation via the Ticker. The Ticker writer is responsible for accurately crafting summaries of the day's top stories, as well as taking notes to report on news conferences, briefings and on-air interviews. This position supports the Ticker producer, who manages the rundown and directs shift coverage.
What will you be doing?
The writer will research and deliver content on full complement of news, ensuring lines are accurate, concise and quickly delivered to the CNN Ticker mobile and on-air audience.
- Write summaries of the day's leading news, based on information gathered from news conferences, on-air interviews, the CNN wire, and other CNN-approved sources for the CNN Ticker
- Be well-versed in the news of the day
- Check/research prior news stories to ensure relevant, most compelling and up-to date information is presented to the CNN Ticker audience
- Determine a story's relevance and organize information accordingly
- Communicate/collaborate with show teams, members of CNN Digital, and newsgathering personnel throughout CNN to gather content for the Ticker
- Seek avenues to improve editorial and journalistic skills
- This can be a combination of the employee taking Turner-offered classes or taking advantage of other Turner-sponsored opportunities
- Bachelor's degree (typically in liberal arts such as journalism, English, political science) or similar demonstrated on-the-job experience
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis
- One-to-two years of technical writing or non-fiction writing, television production or a related field; and six months of experience in commercial, industrial, educational, or government script writing and producing
- Concise written communication skills
- Must have excellent grasp of language, knowing when to write straight news and identify opportunities to be creativity
- 3-5 years of writing experience in online, print or TV production
- Demonstrated news knowledge and journalistic skills
- Must be strong team player, eager, and able to collaborate
- Exhibit a positive attitude that creates solid working relationships within Ticker team and throughout CNN
- Proven ability to communicate professionally with others in written and verbal form
- Knowledge of current events and understanding of editorial priorities
- Demonstration of Turner's performance essentials
- This position supports a 24x7 news environment and shifts and days of work may include overnights, weekends and holidays
- Essential functions of this job include the ability to work for lengthy periods of time during a shift from a computer workstation as well as conduct essential business via phone and computer
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2016 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands like HBO, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users.