Turner Sports leads the industry in the delivery of premium sports content across all multimedia screens. With innovative digital strategies and go-big partnerships, the division delivers the brands and names, teams and games that fans crave. The properties that make up Turner Sports are highly competitive, top-rated and critically acclaimed – and so are the people who work here.
Technical Product Manager - NBA DigitalLocation Atlanta, United States Job ID 165058BR Apply Now
What part will you play?
NBA Digital is seeking an experienced Technical Product Manager to lead technology strategy across 20+ platforms: NBA.com website and NBA apps on mobile devices, OTT streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, smart speakers, and wearables. This role will focus on defining the HOW for multi-platform technology solutions, providing technical and product leadership for software architecture, back-end services, front-end optimizations, data consistency, advertising, and analytics. You will partner with NBA Digital product and operations teams, Turner GTO technology teams, website/app developers, QA testers, and third-party service providers to define, implement, test, and rollout new product features. You will also support critical operational issues impacting multiple platforms by triaging problem incidents, identifying root causes, and recommending fixes. You will work on innovative projects to enhance the digital experience for NBA basketball fans, such as:
- NBA tentpole events for Season Start, All-Star, Playoffs, Draft, Free Agency, and Summer League (games, scores, stats, video, etc.)
- NBA League Pass live streaming with fans buying packages and watching live games online
- NBA TNT Overtime to watch live games for free online, with multiple camera angles
- New product experiences to showcase game action, editorial content, and league news
- Real-time push notifications to send breaking news and score updates to fans' devices
What will you be doing?
- Understand business needs and propose end-to-end system integrations for Drupal CMS, Content API, microservices, and third-party services.
- Translate functional requirements into technical specs. Write technical requirements and lead reviews with platform development teams.
- Lead solution architecture for data flows and back-end service integrations. Propose new microservices for use by multiple client platforms.
- Build and manage technology roadmap for future capabilities, per business growth areas and industry trends.
- Build expertise on various device platforms and programming frameworks. Recommend approaches to Developers. * Evaluate third-party vendor SDKs and APIs. Make technical recommendations with benefits and risks. Facilitate in-product demos.
- Meet regularly with third-party vendors to review upcoming features, problem incidents, and analyze business reporting. * Manage application configuration files (JSON) to support flexibility of app feature states and NBA season transitions.
- Define and implement next-gen config strategy to automate configurations across environments, devices, and app build versions.
- Lead group test simulations to uncover platform bugs with service failures, config changes, business logic implementation, and data consistency.
- Provide problem triage, root cause analysis, and fix recommendations for critical operational issues.
- Advise on using sports metadata sources (game schedule, scores, stats, teams, players, etc.) for consistent approaches.
- Engage frequently with developers to lead technical deep dives, provide clarifications, and validate implementations.
- Become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the full technology stack for NBA Digital. Understand sports consumers and user experience needs.
- Inform and influence across organizational levels (horizontal and vertical) to achieve reusable, sustainable solutions.
What do we need from you?
- BS in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in technology development and leadership.
- Takes ownership of complex projects with scheduled commitments, while working in new technology areas.
- Can break down projects into action plans, document strategy, and estimate work efforts.
- Ability to present technical recommendations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to lead technical deep dives and cross-functional team meetings.
- Ability to advise and influence at all levels in an organization.
- Understands software architecture, modern tech stacks, and programming languages (Java, Node.js, PHP, etc.).
- Experience working with websites, mobile apps, and connected device platforms.
- Experience working with technical architecture, back-end services, front-end/UI implementations, and client app programming.
- Experience working with data formats (JSON, XML, databases, etc.).
- Experience working with video streaming technologies, video players, and dynamic ad insertion (CSAI/SSAI).
- Knowledge of device intricacies for mobile phones, tablets, and popular connected devices (smart TVs, Roku, PlayStation, Xbox, etc.).
- Knowledge of platform app stores, device debugging, and device testing mechanisms.
- Understands push notifications, audience segmentation, ad-serving technology, and analytics tracking.
- Use of Charles proxy or similar tool to debug and rewrite requests.
- Ability to manage workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Affinity for sports is a plus.
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2017 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Warner Media family of powerhouse brands
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS