Turner Sports leads the industry in the delivery of premium sports content across all multimedia screens. With innovative digital strategies and go-big partnerships, the division delivers the brands and names, teams and games that fans crave. The properties that make up Turner Sports are highly competitive, top-rated and critically acclaimed – and so are the people who work here.
Technical Product Manager - NBA Digital VideoLocation Atlanta, United States Job ID 166470BR Apply Now
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of WarnerMedia along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros., delivering brands like CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
This Is Why We Play! NBA Digital is where sports and technology fuse to deliver the best game experience anywhere, anytime. From the casual fan to the die-hards, there's nothing between you and the game. Be part of a team whose passion and commitment for sports is reflected in our products.
NBA Digital is seeking a Video-focused Technical Product Manager to own end-to-end technology strategy for video sourcing, delivery, and playback. This is a fast-paced, highly cross-functional role to drive the evolution of our core video products for live streaming and VOD content. You will define and manage our video roadmap for best-in-class experiences on all client platforms, including web, mobile, and connected devices. You will translate business goals into technical requirements and implementation guidelines with our OTT media partner, Turner technology teams, and platform developers. You will work closely with product, engineering, operations, and NBA league partners to identify new video initiatives, define multi-platform solutions, oversee project delivery, and ensure our core video products remain stable. Here at NBA Digital, we work on many innovative projects to engage NBA basketball fans, including:
- Product experiences to showcase game action and editorial content
- NBA tentpoles including All-Star, Playoffs, Draft, and Summer League
- NBA League Pass to subscribe and watch live game streams online
- NBA TNT Overtime with free game streams featuring multiple camera angles
- 24x7 NBA TV streams for MVPD subscribers to watch on-air shows and games
- Be the subject matter expert (SME) for video delivery workflows and video players across 20+ platforms
- Translate video product goals into roadmaps covering the full video delivery chain, from headend to backend, encode to distribution to front-end video players
- Create multi-platform technical plans for OTT streams and VOD within the NBA Digital platform tech stack: Drupal CMS, Content API, microservices, app builds
- Recommend video workflow optimizations and product experience enhancements per industry trends and system capabilities
- Evaluate third-party integration opportunities, recommend solutions, and oversee technical project delivery
- Lead group testing sessions to uncover platform issues with video playback, optimal quality, in-stream video ads, and analytics integrations
- Collaborate with Turner video and technology teams on infrastructure planning, player upgrades, dynamic ad insertion, VOD archive creation, and critical support needs
- Engage regularly with platform developers to lead technical deep dives, provide clarifications, and validate implementations
- Stay in tune with digital media industry trends, to advise on best practices for encoding specs, screen resolutions, adaptive bitrate, etc.
- Monitor and assess video player engagement and QoE metrics, including startup times, rebuffering, bitrates, and playback failures
- Lead problem triage, root cause analysis, and fix recommendations for support issues
- Inform and influence across organizational levels (horizontal and vertical) for new projects and feature updates
- 5+ years of technical leadership building high-traffic consumer products on websites, apps, and connected device platforms
- Strong knowledge of the full digital video tech stack: players, protocols, encoding, packaging, content delivery, and platform support
- Strong expertise in video encoding (H.264, MPEG-4, AAC), video packaging and streaming (HLS, DASH), CDN delivery, cloud infrastructure, and DRM solutions
- Strong knowledge of dynamic ad insertion (DAI) for stream ad stitching, including CSAI, SSAI, SCTE-35, and VAST/VPAID standards
- Expertise working with video players on web browsers, mobile phones, tablets, and popular connected devices (smart TVs, Roku, PlayStation, Xbox, etc.)
- Thinks strategically on best ways forward, but willing to roll up sleeves, get things done, and make effective progress
- Communicates clearly and effectively in face-to-face conversations, group meetings, emails, and documentation
- Takes full ownership of complex projects, breaking these down into actionable plans for multiple stakeholder teams
- Affinity for sports is a plus
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to wellbeing tools, resources, and freebies
- 2017 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS