Turner's robust technology division provides the infrastructure to support the digital extension of our brands and creates unique ad-serving solutions through the design, development and delivery of key media technologies. Check out Turner’s Information Technology jobs.
Sr Software Developer, Transition EngineerLocation Atlanta, United States Job ID 160101BR Apply Now
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of Time Warner along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TCM, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! From cutting-edge breaking news stories, up-to-the-minute sports coverage, and the characters we grew up loving on to the shows we love today, Turner continues to be the gold standard in first class television programming and a demonstrated leader in digital content. We tell the stories the world wants to hear. Won’t you be a part of our story? http://www.turner.com/
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
What part will you play?
The SR Software Developer, Transition Engineer is a member of the CNN META Elections team. This provides development necessary to enhance, operate and support CNN's Elections Support Systems. These systems acquire data from external sources, process it & offer it to editorial users, on-air graphics systems and digital products. CNN uses this system to cover large and small elections, every year. The Senior Software Developer works as a Configuration Management team member, applying practical experience in the key disciplines of software engineering (object-oriented design and programming, configuration management, testing, etc.) to deliver incremental but complete pieces of business value to stakeholders.
What will you be doing?
- Creating and writing deployment scripts (mainly converting existing systems to deploy through Chef)
- Develop software confidence and reliability by creating testing artifacts, deployment packages, deployment scripts, and supporting ongoing development
- Working with multiple development teams to ensure their development environment is ready for use and build packages are created accurately and are ready for promotion in time
- BS in Computer Science, Software, other Engineering, related field or equivalent experience required
- 7 years of software configuration management experience
- 4 years of experience with Perl, Ruby, Python, Shell, or any other scripting language
- Working knowledge of XML/XSL/JSON, HTML, and associated modern technologies
- Experience working with Subversion, Jenkins/Hudson, and Nagios
- Exhibit good system engineering skills (e.g., common industry database design and practices, application architectures, operating systems concepts, networking, etc.)
- Skills in application development
- Must demonstrate considerable enthusiasm for the practices that allow for continuous deployment and incremental delivery of business value
- Possess strong verbal/written communication skills
- Demonstrates an ability to lead and mentor, especially across teams where no reporting relationship exists
- Ability to balance multiple competing demands
- Ability to recognize opportunities to improve the configuration management/deployment process
- Contributes to software confidence and reliability by creating artifacts, developing tooling, and providing the communication needed to ensure artifacts are continuously releasable
- Architectural planning and design, especially related to continuous integration and deployment
- Agile/Scrum planning and process improvement
- MS degree or higher preferred
- Experience implementing Chef/Puppet as an application deployment tool is a plus
- VM experience a plus
- Experience with Java, Scala, Ruby, or a mix of other modern programming languages is a plus
- Experience with Ant, Maven, or Gradle is a plus
- Experience with Agile methodologies (examples include Scrum or Kanban) desired
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2016 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.