CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Senior News EditorLocation Atlanta, Georgia, United States Job ID 176043BR Apply Now
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented <br>storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, <br>DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit Overview
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
This is a best in class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas. A true partner with writers in identifying distinctive angles on top stories and finding distinctive stories that who make good stories great. News editors are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. They can copy edit and save bacon daily from honest mistakes big and small. They can curate and tag. They can SEO. They know what stories -- in either text or video -- should be linked up. They know when attribution is needed and when it's overkill. They know the difference between a first version digital story that is 'good enough to go' and when to hold to get more -- and when that line is unclear, they know to ask.
This editing role is based in CNN's Atlanta bureau. The editor will oversee the work of breaking news editors on CNN Digital's National News Desk and support our Managing Editor in setting up the day's assignment and workflow. Work will be based in Atlanta, but this editor also plays a role in our global content priorities.
- All Digital News Editors edit stories from a wide range of sources including:
- The digital news writers.
- Other writers across CNN Digital, worldwide.
- Contributors including opinion columnists and external contributors.
- Field teams who may not be able to sit and write but can give great material by phone, slack, etc on the ground from any corner of the world. Editors will turn that material into a story or a powerful anecdote in an existing story.
- Anywhere else in CNN -- we have interns, APs, producers, reporters and correspondents and anchors throughout the org who may get assigned or approved to write for digital platforms.
- Senior News Editors may be assigned specialty areas by shift, including being a second set of eyes on homepages, on alerting, on key initiatives that need a good comb thru and/or a creative punch.
- Seniors News Editor may supervise a small team.
- All digital news editors will work with a wide range of copy from a wide range of writers. That means news editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats. They are excellent providers of feedback who help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
- News Editors will be called on to write as needed -- their bylines will be occasionally seen solo or as a contributing name. - It's a varied job -- some days may be fast and furious with edits on a single and fast-flowing developing story. Some days will have a wide range of pieces in different forms and formats to edit -- an enterprise story, a newsletter, an opinion piece, a story from a correspondent in a war zone.
- And last but never least: News Editors are often the final step before a story goes to the programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide - all news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
- 6 or more years editorial experience.
- College Degree preferred
- Experience managing small team
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS