Turner Sports leads the industry in the delivery of premium sports content across all multimedia screens. With innovative digital strategies and go-big partnerships, the division delivers the brands and names, teams and games that fans crave. The properties that make up Turner Sports are highly competitive, top-rated and critically acclaimed – and so are the people who work here.
Managing Editor, Audience and Programming - Turner SportsLocation Atlanta, United States Job ID 161744BR Apply Now
TBS, Inc. is an American Media conglomerate and division of Time Warner along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Brothers. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports and so much more! For more information, please visit: http://www.turner.com/
What part will you play?
Managing Editor, Audience and Programming for Turner Sports Turner Sports is seeking an elite, talented and proven digital leader for a senior position driving audience and programming for NCAA Digital and PGA Interactive. We're looking for an energetic force who thinks creatively, sets strategy and can coach and lead a team to top results.
This role is expected to lead the team daily with excellent news judgment, organization, communication and attention to data and metrics. The managing editor of audience and programming will be responsible for all content delivery and platforms, and will drive his or her team to best-in-class performance distributing all content to the hands of as many readers as possible. More than that, we'll want you to plan and shape this content in innovative and engaging ways. This means driving and executing our strategies and tactics for Social, Alerts, Newsletters as well as mobile and desktop programming.
You will be part of a two-headed managing editor dream team. The Managing Editor of Content will drive content generation; your team will drive delivery and display. This position will report to the Senior Director of Content and will have numerous direct reports.
This position requires some weekend work and some travel. You'll need to be fluent and engaged daily in metrics, and able to coach a team toward optimized performance in social, tease writing, programming choices and planning.
We'll ask you to write up regular reports with context for the team and the leadership here. You'll need a strong understanding of social networking sites and how they can help us reach more readers as well as develop content ideas.
You'll need to know how to best lure readers with effective headlines and teases for all delivery - whether desktop, mobile, newsletters or partners. It's important that you're versatile, and able to adapt to the fast-changing digital landscape. We run major tentpole content operations at NCAA tournament, Ryder Cup and PGA Championship, so you'll need to be comfortable running significant content operations for high-profile news or sports events.
Enthusiasm, risk-taking and collaboration are highly valued, but it's also required you have an understanding of working within parameters of a sports league -- you'll need strong understanding of Turner's relationship with the NCAA and the PGA of America.
Here's a closer look at the job responsibilities:
What will you be doing?
- Plan and organize the delivery of content
- Set and execute strategy with mobile, apps, newsletters, social and partners
- Stay ahead of trends in digital distribution and audience
- Manage your team's performance
- Plan upcoming events and develop and execute story ideas to the larger editorial strategy
- Make sure editorial calendar is up to date
- Coordinate teams' overnight and daily planning notes
- Work closely with league partners
- 5 - 10 years of media or digital journalism experience, with emphasis on digital content
- Minimum of 5 years editorial or production management experience, preferably in the online medium and in sports
- Experience with user data - such as Chartbeat and Omniture - to track performance is a must
- Understanding of sports
- Strong basic editorial skills with extensive knowledge of AP style guide, Experience in working with CMS systems, excellent computer skills with working knowledge of HTML and Photoshop
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to work in cross-functional teams and high pressure live event atmosphere
- Ability to manage small team and set expectations, goals, priorities and deadlines
- Excellent organization and proven ability to deliver on content plans
- Able to handle last-minute or quick-turnaround deadlines for development or in a live publishing environment
- Dependable and collaborative
- Motivated to produce quality content to inform and entertain a large audience.
- Flexible schedule - some travel, and weekend work
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2015 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands like HBO, CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.