CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Editor, Digital News (Temporary)Location Atlanta, Georgia, United States Job ID 170722BR Apply Now
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
This is a best in class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas. A true partner with writers and assignment editors who make good stories great. News editors are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. They can copy edit and save bacon daily from honest mistakes big and small.
They can curate and tag. They can SEO. They know what stories -- in either text or video -- should be linked up. They know when attribution is needed and when it's overkill. They know the difference between a first version digital story that is 'good enough to go' and when to hold to get more -- and when that line is unclear, they know to ask.
- All Digital News Editors edit stories from a wide range of sources including: The digital news writers, other writers across CNN Digital, worldwide, contributors including opinion columnists and external contributors and Freelancers
- Field teams who may not be able to sit and write but can give great material by phone, slack, etc. on the ground from any corner of the world
- Editors will turn that material into a story or a powerful anecdote in an existing story
- Anywhere else in CNN -- we have interns, APs, producers, reporters and correspondents and anchors throughout the org who may get assigned or approved to write for digital platforms
- News Editors may be assigned specialty areas by shift, including being a second set of eyes on homepages, on alerting, on key initiatives that need a good comb thru and/or a creative punch
- All digital news editors will work with a wide range of copy from a wide range of writers
- That means news editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats
- They are excellent providers of feedback who help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms
- News Editors will be called on to write as needed -- their bylines will be occasionally seen solo or as a contributing name
- It's a varied job -- some days may be fast and furious with edits on a single and fast-flowing developing story
- Some days will have a wide range of pieces in different forms and formats to edit -- an enterprise story, a newsletter, an opinion piece, a story from a correspondent in a war zone
- And last but never least: News Editors are often the final step before a story goes to the programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide - all news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences
- 5 or more years editorial experience
- College Degree preferred
- Will be required to work weekends and overnights
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS