CNN Worldwide is a portfolio of two dozen news and information services across every available platform to more than 2 billion people, in more than 200 countries and territories. With editorial operations around the globe, the people who work here are on-the-ground connected and committed to telling the world’s stories with accuracy and immediacy.
Data ScientistLocation Atlanta, Georgia, United States Job ID 169156BR Apply Now
This is our story We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
The Data Scientist will collaborate with key stakeholders at CNN Digital to provide deep data analysis to support growth in audience, engagement and monetization. This key analytics role will be responsible fusing consumer analytics, statistical modeling, behavioral segmentation, clustering analysis into actionable recommendations in a fast-paced entrepreneurial group within CNN Digital.
The ideal candidate will be a change agent with an entrepreneurial approach, highly analytical, and results oriented. The Data Scientist will report to the Sr. Director Audience Development & Analytics at CNN Digital. This role is primarily responsible for deriving insights from audience behavior and AB/ multivariate testing efforts at CNN.
- Fuse consumer analytics from CNN owned and third party platforms, user behavior and revenue data into actionable recommendations and tools
- Provide key stakeholders in Product, Editorial, Sales and Design with actionable insights that will help them to effectively target, engage, and monetize our best customers and/or content
- Gather and process raw data at scale (includes writing scripts, web scraping, calling APIs, using SQL, Python, R and Spark)
- Process unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis, utilizing custom applications and modern ETL/ELT in order to perform necessary statistical analyses
- Collaborate with Research and Analytics to leverage web and mobile platform performance and audience analyses to maximize monetization opportunities and ROI
- Establish a segmentation framework to understand, benchmark and monitor user engagement across a variety of user groups
- Apply statistical clustering methodologies to relevant user behavior and monetization data to identify actionable user segments and provide insights and recommendations to improve user experience and RPU
- Assist in the ongoing implementation and optimization of business and revenue analytics and behavioral tools and services in conjunction with Technology and Research, which includes providing instrumentation requirements, product integration and data collection against programming optimization tools, including Omniture, Chartbeat, Optimizely and similar technologies
- Enhance and leverage content categorization and taxonomy, as well as monetization related data tools to improve content ROI, including identification of strong content and/or audience sales opportunities
- Apply statistical expertise to study correlations between platforms, audience segments, topics and monetization metrics in order to deliver highly effective user experiences for consumers, advertisers, and affiliates
- Write custom algorithms and bots to help automate opportunity or anomaly detection across CNN owned properties
- Identify key data that's important to track, and work with developers to access it through the APIs available and incorporate it into the existing models
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed.
- Masters degree in Applied Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics or a comparable quantitative field
- 2+ years experience working in analytics or data mining ideally in digital media, digital marketing or quantitative consulting roles with focus on analysis of large data-sets
- Experience in data manipulation in combination statistical analysis applications such as R, or Python
- Strong data mining skills, drawing actionable conclusions and simplifying complex information into actionable recommendations
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data
- Demonstrated experience building statistical models, lookalike models, and turning data into information
- Past experience with web reporting technologies, app reporting tools (preferably Adobe Marketing Cloud / Omniture), Social Media and SEO analytics and APIs
- Experience with, or knowledge of, data visualization, including usage of tools like Tableau and/or D3
- Basic experience developing software against 3rd party APIs / RESTful web services, data streams/firehoses and working with vendors to identify and correct issues and drive enhancements
- Basic programming skills in Python or similar
- Agile and nimble analytical data junkie who is excited about interpreting data all of the time and learning about what it means and how we can use the info in a news environment.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
We are storytellers.
Join our Talent Network – the first place our recruiters look for candidates when jobs open.
Get notified when we post jobs you're interested in. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS